The revolution is mainstream
In their epic song Street Fightin' Man, The Rolling Stones famously sang:
"Everywhere I hear the sound of marching, charging feet, boy,
Cause summer's here and the time is right for fighting in the street, boy"
If I were to write an equally epic song today (low probability) I would write:
"Everywhere I hear the sound of swooshing wind turbines, clonks from solar plants being erected, boy,
Cause grid parity is here and the time is right for global domination of renewables, boy"
This song would not be as catchy but it would be the truth. DNV GL just released their Energy Transition Outlook. Interestingly enough it is not a scenario based as many reports are, but rather 'a most likely future'. The key take away from the report for a company like ours is this graph.
It shows wind and solar going from 1 TW to 25 TW in 2050, a CAGR of close to 10% over 35 years. That is astonishing. For even more astonishing projections about the future, I can really recommend to check out the DNV GL report available here.
For Greenbyte this means we need to prepare for major growth as we anticipate software and data are going to become increasingly important in a future where renewable energy production becomes the most vital supply of energy.
This year we have made some key achievements:
- Installed over 12 GW of wind and solar.
- Went from 20 to 50 people in our team. A fantastic and super committed team by the way.
- Made countless incremental improvements to our services that strengthen the foundation upon which we stand.
- Introduced control of wind turbines which we think will be key in combining with other sources of data and storage to positively impact our customers revenues.
- Achieved positive results in predicting component failures which will play an important role in reducing operating expenditures for our customers.
But, in an industry with this amount of growth our achievements are not enough. We need to step up our game by being more innovative and change faster than the industry at large to stay relevant. During 2018 we intend to double again and to invest more in our services to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to supporting our customers. We are convinced that making renewables an even more certain and profitable investment will put even more fuel on the fire for the renewable energy revolution.
We are committed and excited to build upon our solid foundations and to make 2018 into a year of innovation.